6 Shillinglee  Waterlooville  Hampshire  PO7 5RW

023 9225 8315


© GBS Designs 2023


6 Shillinglee    Purbrook     Waterlooville     Hampshire     PO7 5RW       Tel - 023 9225 8315






We provide our party wall services in the following areas:

Waterlooville  Purbrook  Havant  Widley  Bedhampton  Hayling Island  Rowlands Castle  Leigh Park  West Leigh  Emsworth  Cowplain  Catherington  Lovedean  Horndean  Southbourne  Westbourne  Cosham  Drayton  Farlington  Portsmouth  Southampton  Denmead  Southwick  Wickham  Fareham  Gosport  East Meon  Petersfield  Clanfield  Liss  Hawkley  Burition  Froxfield  Liphook  Milland  Rogate  Chichester  Steep  Sheet  South Harting  Midhurst

and other areas in Hampshire and West Sussex.


Party Wall Surveyor Party Wall Surveyor Party Wall Surveyor Party Wall Surveyor

Party Wall Surveyor

Trained by the Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors, we are Party Wall Surveyors able to provide Party Wall surveying services. As such, we are qualified to act impartially as:

Party Wall Surveyor for the Building Owner (the persons wishing to carry out the works)

Party Wall Surveyor for the Adjoining Owner/s (owners of the neighbouring properties)

Party Wall Surveyor for the Agreed Surveyor (who acts impartially for two or more owners)

The Party Wall Act is about fairness; it exists to safeguard all parties and party wall surveyors act impartially to provide that safeguard to all parties.

Overview of The Act

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 states that you must tell your neighbours if you intend to carry out any building work near or on your shared property boundary, or ‘party wall’, in England and Wales.

The Act came into force on 1 July 1997 and applies throughout England and Wales. The Act provides a framework for preventing and/or resolving disputes relating to party walls, party structures, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings and structures.

Party walls stand on the land of 2 or more owners and can either form part of a building or not form part of a building, such as a garden wall. Walls on one owner’s land used by other owners (2 or more) to separate their buildings are also party walls.

When considering an extension or a loft conversion you are likely to be considering works covered by The Act, especially if your property is a terraced, semi-detached or otherwise connected.

Anyone intending to carry out works that fall within The Act are required by law to give adjoining owners written notice of their plans. This applies to private properties, government, local authority, Crown and other properties.

If a dispute arises in relation to works covered by The Act and a notice has been served then The Act and surveyors can be invoked to resolve the dispute.

The Act and party wall agreements are different from planning permission or building regulations approval.

Main Parts of The Act

There are three main parts of The Act that may need to be considered before you start works.

Line of Junction (Section 1)

Comes into effect if an owner intends to building a wall on/astride or up to the line of junction. Often occurs with ground floor extensions in terraced or semi-detached houses and bungalows.

Party Structure (Sections 2 and 3)

Includes all works to the party wall, party fence wall, party structure or boundary wall. This is very common place with loft conversions, removal of a chimney and such like in terraced and semi-detached dwellings.

Excavations within Three or Six Metres (Section 6)

Any form of excavations such as digging for foundations within 3 or 6 metres of a neighbouring building or structure, depending on the excavations or proposed foundations. In properties that are terraced and semi-detached this is very hard to avoid, even some detached properties are within 3 metres of each other.


As you can see from the above, many alterations to properties such as extensions, loft conversions, removal of chimneys and more, can fall within The Party Wall etc. Act 1996. Most people value the relationships they have with neighbours, who may also be friends, and therefore appointing an impartial professional to ensure that both or more parties are treated fairly can be an essential part of any building work.